Shri Baldebjew

KENDRAPARA DISTRICT AT A GLANCE

.......Carved out of the erstwhile District of Cuttack, Kendrapra District was formed on 1st April 1993. Kendrapara District holds many historical events in its lap. The District is a land rich with cultural heritage. From the history it revels that Kendrapra District has got many names from its origin time. The District was nemed as Tulasi Kshetra, Gupta Kshetra, Brahma Kshetra and Kendrapalli in the pages of the mythological texts and purans.

......The District owes its name from the death of one mythical demon named “Kandarasura” who was killed by Lord Baladev, the elder brother of Lord Jagannath. The presiding deity, Lord Baladev Jew is being worshipped in picturesque temple at Ichhapur near Kendrapara town. History says that once upon a time Kendrapara was the trade hub of the ancient Kalinga. It is the first municipality of Odisha during the British Raj.

.......There are many historical places and monuments that show the heritage of this District. Monuments like Kanika Palace which is the silent proof of the glorious history of Kendrapara. Narayan Bhanjadeo laid the foundation stone of this palace on 9th June 1909. The palace was completed within the time period of ten years. This palace still has some antiques in it. Many historical temples are also there in the District. The great Baladev jew temple is located at Ichhapur of Kendrapara District. Jagannath temple, Pentha is located in Rajnagar block of this District. The temple complex overlooks the sandy coast and has a very beautiful location.

,,,,,,,,Carved out of the erstwhile Cuttack on 01.04.1993, the Kendrapara District, spread over 2240 sq Kms, is situated in Central Costal plain Zone, extending from 20° 20” N latitude 20° 37” N & 86° 14” E to 87° 1” E longitude on the eastern coast of Odisha. The District comprises of one sub-division, one Municipality, one NAC, 9 Blocks, 230 GPs and 1569 villages with a population of 14.40 lakhs as per 2011 census. It is surrounded by Jajpur in north – west, Jagatsinghpur in south, Cuttack in west, Bhadrak in north and Bay of Bengal in the east. It  receives 1556.0 mm of rainfall annually. The soil type here is sandy loam to Alluvial in nature. The costal part of this district comprises of saline soils mostly in Mahakalpara and Rajnagar Blocks and part of Pattamundai, Rajkanika, Marshaghai & Aul Blocks. It has 48 Kms of coast line. Mahanadi, Brahmani, Baitarani, Luna, Chitrotpala & Gobari are rivers passing through the district providing potential water resource. It gets irrigation from Kendrapara & Pattamundai canal system as the major irrigation source along with 1045 no.s of LIPs 3572 private list irrigation projects as well as some other natural sources like Creeks etc totaling to 66,004 Ha.

Proposed District Court Building

proposed court building

According to the Topography of Kendrapara Agriculture District, it comprises of the problematic lands that need special cares in respect of its managements, as follows.

a)  Flood prone         - 34,952.0 Ha
b)  Salinity affected  - 32,350.0 Ha
c)  Water-logged      - 15,850.0 Ha
d)  Drought prone    - 84,910.0 Ha

Geographical and Population details of the District

Geographical Area :

2,494.69 sq.km

Area under Forest

199.39 sq.km

  7.99 %

Population (2011 Provisional Census)

Total

1,439,891

in %

Male

717,695

49.84

Female

722,196

50.16

Rural

2,513,654

174.57

Urban

548,246

38.08

Scheduled Caste

25,416

1.77

Scheduled Caste Male

8,546

33.62

Scheduled Caste Female

4,258

16.75

Scheduled Tribe

54,826

3.81

Scheduled Tribe Male

24,586

44.84

Scheduled Tribe Female

22,481

41.00

Population Density :

545 (Per sq.km)

Literacy

Total Literate

875,212

85.93

Literate Male

489,382

92.45

Literate Female

385,830

79.51

Total Illiterate

385,426

26.77

Illiterate Male

25,486

6.61

Illiterate Female

25,486

6.61

 

House holds

Total House holds

2,145

 

Rural House holds

25,411

1,184.66

Urban House holds

25,869

1,206.01

BPL House holds ( 2001 Census)

2,586

--

SC/ST House holds ( 2001 Census)

1,542

--